Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What is red and itchy?

I am.



As much as I look forward to summer, without fail, I end up buring myself at least once in the sun.









It's not so bad for a few days. A little touchy when changing my shirts, but nothing horrible. After two or three days, however, the itching starts. Thats what I hate. I can deal with the pain of the burn and the distinct redness of shame, but the itching is unbearable.
This time, I got burnt spending half the day Friday and all day Saturday working at the fairgrounds. Most of the cause was from Saturday. I worked ground in the horse arena then fixed fence for most of the day. After work Saturday, I went to the New Lexington FFA Truck and Tractor Pull.
This is the second pull of the year for the Chapter. I grew up around the pull, so it seems natural to me that New Lex FFA puts on a monthly pull. When you stop to think about it, however, it is pretty extraordinary. NL FFA members plan for and facilitate their own truck and tractor pulls with some help from their Alumni chapter. It's really pretty amazing.
New Lex FFA partnered with the Perry County Gun Club to put on pulls. In exchange for nearly unlimited use of the grounds and facilities, NL FFA cares for all grounds and facilities. They are in charge of maintenance and handle some upgrades to the Gun Club.
NL FFA built their own transfer sled, uses the school's 4430 JD to pull back, new JD scraper tractor and the school's backhoe to make the pull happen. Students operate the logistics of the pull including sign-up, all money, working the gate, announcing, grading the track and running the pull-back tractor. Mr. Blosser (one of their teachers) runs the sled, and two alumni members handle flagging and teching vehicles.
I think this is one of the coolest activities that an FFA Chapter can put on. If you are free for any of the up-coming pulls, please come to Perrydise and support this great FFA Chapter.

By the way, as you can see the fish are doing well. I didn't name them yet, though. While I like the names suggested by Jena, Shalie knows how special Vanilla Coke is. I don't know what to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment