Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mr. Skinner

One of my proudest moments in my life came very unexpectedly during my senior year in high school. The same moment was the culmination for many of the decisions that I have made throughout my life after that point. It has been the inspiration for many of my goals and aspirations.
I didn't take ag class until I was a sophomore in high school. For some reason, I felt that I would be out of place in ag, although many of my friends were already in the class. After coming to my senses a year late (I have always been a late bloomer), I came to really love the subjects and my teachers. Sheridan FFA was split into Ag 100 (freshmen), Ag 200 (sophomores), and Ag 400 (juniors and seniors, rotating curriculum each year). After taking Ag 100, my junior year I skipped Ag 200 and took Ag 400 for 2 years.
My teacher for those last 2 years was Mr. Mike Skinner. We didn't have too much in common, but we got along really well. Looking back, I wish I would have done even more in that class, and especially in FFA. I always had a lot of respect for Mr. Skinner and that didn't change as we developed a friendship that still stands today. Although I don't get to see him nearly as often as I would like, I am sure that he will stay a friend of mine thorughout the years and we will stay in contact.
Back to the moment that changed my life. During my senior awards banquet, I was seated in the very last seat. Out of 300-something guests, members, family, and friends, I was the only person there without a door prize at my seat. Small details, but it's funny what you remember as time goes on.
As the banquet neared the end, awards and scholarships were handed out. I won a few and lost a few. Mr. Skinner stood to give his award and scholarship, in honor of his late father, Don. to a senior student that he felt was deserving. As he started his speech, it became clearer and clearer to me that I was going to win the most coveted award of the night. I don't remember what all he said, but two things stuck with me. The first was that I "chose agriculture. Agriculture did not chose (me)." I did not come from a substantial farming operation. This simple statement has provided me with motivation throughout my years (and years) of college.
The second thing Mr. Skinner said was something that meant much, much more. In front of a packed room, he said that he was impressed with me. The guy that I had grown to respect more than almost anyone else in this world was impressed with me. I was a chubby (I was always skinny, I just started filling out my senior year of high school) 18 year old who had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, who wasn't very involved in his FFA. But something I had done along the way impressed Mr. Skinner. Afterward, he told my parents and me how much he really was a fan my mine. I was floored.
It's amazing the impact that a teacher can have on a student. It's hard to tell where I would be today without the influence that Mr. Skinner had on me. That one man had such an impact on where I am today and things that I have done since meeting him as a sophomore. Realizing the impact that Mr. Skinner had on me is a chief reason that I want to become an ag teacher. Hopefully I can have half the impact on a student that he had on me.


(Please leave a comment below if you got Rick Roll'd.)

3 comments:

  1. Wow john! when I first looked at this i said wow john, this is too long and I dont feel like i have the time to read it! But I read it, all of it, and I just wanted you to know that you arent the only one that has been rick roll'd. My ag teacher was the driving force of me being in ag ed too. But im glad your a late bloomer. Better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  2. john- you are going to inspire a kid just like you some day! hopefully we all will :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahaha I love being Rick Rolled!

    ReplyDelete